Saturday, March 21, 2009

Ani, if you're out there, thank you.

10 reasons why I love Ani DiFranco:

1. Her voice is creamy. Seriously. Like vanilla pudding. It's a beautiful juxtaposition – somewhere between angelic and fierce. If Ani were singing shit about my pug, I'd turn up the volume and sing along. She's that captivating.

2. Her songwriting is AMAZING. I picture her scratching out lyrics between coffee refills in diner booths. Or on the back porch of her home in Buffalo, under an awning, in the rain, making sense of bad relationships, her 20s, her 30s, politics and pollution.

3. She's from Buffalo. My hometown. And without too much preaching, she became the poster child for a steel belt city with a reputation steeped in bad football jokes, blizzards and economic woes. A few years ago she purchased a historic church on the corner of West Tupper and Delaware Avenue, rehabbed it, reopened it as a music venue and called it Babeville.

4. She is 11 years older than me, but it never felt that way. In the mid-1990s, when I first started listening to Ani, newspapers and magazines labeled her militant, angsty, angry, gay, bisexual, feminist, rocker grrrl, younameit. As a teenager, I couldn't think of a better chick to idolize. She was complex; a Rubik's cube of sexual identity, with song lyrics like poems, marked by peaks and valleys in an emotional landscape not unlike the one I pounded. Britney Spears and I are the same age. (Arrggh! It's true!) Yet it was Ani I latched onto like a long-distance pen pal. (Ani and Jewel to be exact.) From my bedroom in the middle of nowhere, with its pink walls and quilted bunk bed blankets, I spent my nights alternating between Ani and Jewel, a cross-pollination of a fan. Romantic and wispy. Pent-up and pissy.

5. She can fingerpick a hoedown beat like nobody's business. Ani could pluck a love song using her guitar strings to clean out the grit from under her fingernails. She's that fast and that good.

6. She's a journalist's wet dream. She's funny, disarming and ridiculously quotable. ("Some people wear their heart up on their sleeve. I wear mine underneath my right pant leg, strapped to my boot.") Even her terseness is eloquent. ("My songs are just little letters to me.")

7. She's a stubborn success story. Ani has repeatedly turned down baller contracts with major record companies. She formed Righteous Records in 1989 with Dale Anderson, a writer from The Buffalo News, and renamed the company Righteous Babe Records in 1994 after she and Anderson parted ways. The company now produces a growing list of emerging artists – Andrew Bird, Bitch and Animal, Arto Lindsay, Sara Lee and Hammell on Trial to name a few.

8. Her song, Angry Anymore, was my anthem for years. Listen to it. It's cathartic.

9. Fuck you at the start of a refrain never sounded so pretty or so appropriate. Untouchable Face is a lyrical feat of genius.

10. She is finally happy, and I'm happy for her.

--

PS. Joe took me to the Tampa Theatre last night to see Ani. The tickets were a Christmas present. (Thank you, Joe!) I cried tears of happiness during the show. It was dark, so no one saw.


***

11 comments:

Sara said...

I don't know if you've seen Jewel live, but I have...two summers ago at a tiny little outdoor theatre in Interlochen, Michigan.

I thought she was good before, but Live? She is a thousand times more talented than I even thought she was before.

C.Flower said...

I have seen Jewel live! Three times.

You're right. She's awesome live. In the last five years or so she's really let me down. I feel like she's trying too hard to stay current. But that's another post for another day ...

The last time I saw Jewel it was at a small music hall in Buffalo just before she slutted it up in a black bustier on the cover of Maxim magazine to promote her horrific pop album 0304. I was devastated.

As much as I gush about Ani, I'd slobber your computer screen with praise about Jewel. (Pre-0304.)

I was sitting front row at that last concert and while Jewel was between sets, I walked up to her with my purse open and asked if she'd sign the inside flap. (It was all I had on me.)

She did, and the mark is squiggly and unintelligible, but I was flippin nuts about that purse.

I'm sure she gave a stellar performance in Interlochen. I think she went to a performing arts school there.

Did she play "Sometimes it be that way?" I've always wanted to hear that live. Like Ani, Jewel can bust some killer lyrics.

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

I have to admit that I don't know a lot of her music so I'm going to have to check it out. I do love Jewel though and have lots of her stuff (haven't seen her in concert though).

Anonymous said...

What a perfect gift; you obviously love her music! I think I've only heard one song of hers, so I guess we all know what I'll be searching online tonight!

C.Flower said...

A few off-the-cuff recommendations:

Grey = sad, sad song. good for writing profoundly bummer things.

Tis of Thee = great lyrics if you're sick of reality television and gluttonous consumerism, and looking for an non-apathetic acoustic ballad to help air your grievances.

Angry Anymore = if you've ever come to grips with anything and/or appreciated other people's epiphanies.

Untouchable Face = if you want to shock your father on the ride home.

Both Hands = almost everyone I know can relate to this song. it's beautiful and catchy.

Little Plastic Castle = if you like your songs like variety packs, this one's got a pinch of ska, folkie lyrics and swinging horn stabs.

Not a pretty girl = for the ladies who need a little oomph, this one packs a punch of empowerment. it works well on days you're especially fed up with men.

Sorry I can't recommend anything from her newest album, Red Letter Year. I haven't listened to it yet! (It's in the mail.) However, based on my concert experience last week, I'd say the new tracks are incredibly upbeat and excellent.

I'm itching to write to it.

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! I am a long, long, long time Ani fan. Going on 17 years to be exact. I love everything you wrote here, but I had one correction to add:

On your second point, you say you imagine her writing songs on her buffalo porch. Although she still owns that house, you must know she now lives in new orleans, right? that is where she spends all of her free time now.

Ani for lyfe!

C.Flower said...

Anon - yes, you're right. She does live in New Orleans. I guess I like to picture her only in Buffalo.

I did the same thing with Tim Russert. :)

Anonymous said...

After reading your tidbit on Ani I felt in the mood to sing the F-u song. Something about that song always puts me in a cheery mood. So, thought I'd share some cheer.....

Enjoy!


Untouchable Face"

think i'm going for a walk now
i feel a little unsteady
i don't want nobody to follow me
'cept maybe you
i could make you happy you know
if you weren't already
i could do a lot of things
and i do

tell you the truth i prefer
the worst of you
too bad you had to have a better half
she's not really my type
but i think you two are forever
and i hate to say it but
you're perfect together

so fuck you
and your untouchable face
and fuck you
for existing in the first place
and who am i
that i should be vying for your touch
and who am i
i bet you can't even tell me that much

two-thirty in the morning
and my gas tank will be empty soon
neon sign on the horizon
rubbing elbows with the moon
a safe haven of sleepless
where the deep fryer's always on
radio is counting down
the top 20 country songs
and out on the porch the fly strip is
waving like a flag in the wind
y'know, i don't look forward
to seeing you again soon
you'll look like a photograph of yourself
taken from far far away
and i won't know what to do
and i won't know what to say

except fuck you...

i see you and i'm so perplexed
what was i thinking
what will i think of next
where can i hide
in the back room there's a lamp
that hangs over the pool table
and when the fan is on it swings
gently side to side
there's a changing constellation
of balls as we are playing
i see orion and say nothing
the only thing i can think of saying

is fuck you...

BlumeBloom said...

I completely get you Ani addiction!
My best friend and I have been listening to her for years and it always seems that with each new song, it has some way to relate to our lives!
Love your blog!

emilywootton.etsy.com

Mary Elizabeth said...

I own 15.3 hours of Ani's music. I'm obsessed. She's gotten me through so much in life. I love your blog. Nice work on 2-years! I just hit my 2-year relationship mark as well! My guy took me to an Ani Difranco concert and even liked it! :-)

C.Flower said...

Mary! We are soul sistahs! I'm looking forward to following your blog. I love that you own 15.3 hours of Ani music. Not seven albums and a couple bootlegs, but 15.3 hours. You rock. And so does your guy.

Hey boyfriends: Don't blow your wad on diamonds. Get your girl Ani tickets instead. Even more precious? Accompany her to the show.