Wednesday, April 1, 2009

No disrespect to missing dogs

Once upon a time, on a day too dark and chilly for sunbathing, my sister PK and I sat in my living room in St. Pete, telling stories about odd apartment neighbors.

PK lives next door to a guy who used to keep his kid's hamster in a cage outside his apartment, presumably because tenants aren't allowed to have pets.

One day the hamster just disappeared. Gone. Cage and all.

Inspired by the number of missing dog signs in my neighborhood, PK and I designed a hypothetical missing hamster sign.

MISSING HAMSTER
REWARD $75
Male teddy bear hamster
Age: 2 1/2
Has small ears, tiny eyes and strawberry blonde fur
Has black fleck on front right paw
Last seen on wheel
Call: ###

And yes, we printed out a dozen copies and tacked them to telephone poles around my neighborhood.

Please don't chastise me. I'm a sucker for missing animals. Remember Pooh Bear?

Lighten up and do something funny for the helluvit. It's April Fool's Day – nine days before my birthday! For hoax-y inspiration, click here.

--

PS. Please swing by Name Your Dream Assignment and vote for my friend Ricci. I've sung her praises numerous times. She's an amazing photographer and she has only a few days left to win this contest. Voting ends April 3.


4 comments:

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

okay, that's pretty funny. Whether you did it or not, I love the sign. Can you imagine reading one of those for real? awesome! (Not the missing pet part, of course. Missing pets are very sad.)

C.Flower said...

Oh we really did it! A month ago actually. We had such a riot that day, we're still laughing about it.

Alex Pickett said...

that is possibly the coolest thing I've heard this month! Or last month! Put one up in crescent lake!

C.Flower said...

Alex, we hung three around Crescent Lake! I'm sure they disintegrated pretty fast. We noticed that the pros slip their signs in plastic sheaths before nailing them to trees and posts. Next time we'll laminate.