Monday, February 23, 2009

A sucker for beautiful talented people.

I have never, ever tired of the Oscars. Even when the show crawls past midnight, I never turn the TV off.

Even as a kid, when I had no clue who the nominees for Best Supporting Actor were, I'd root for the guy, who when the camera panned his face, seemed humbled by the nomination.

Even when my father bitched that the only movies to ever win Oscars were boring ones he'd never seen, I'd righteously back the Academy's choices. Even as a 12-year-old.

Even when my mother suggested I go to bed before Best Picture had been announced, I'd weasel my way through the end of the telecast.

Even when I went to school the next morning gibbering on about animated short films no one in my rural high school gave two shits about, I never scoffed at the Oscars.

It was my Super Bowl.

I was insanely jealous of the actresses. Their dresses. Their bodies. Their skin. Their grace. Their effusive speeches. I wanted their talent. Their dates. Their doe eyes and bee-stung lips. I was fascinated by the way they tiptoed to the podium and clutched their golden barbells like freedom fighters in silk Valentino, forging forward in battle.

When I bought my first pair of high heels in 2004 – just before moving to Florida to become a newspaper reporter – I practiced walking from the living room to the kitchen by conjuring up images of Charlize Theron accepting her Oscar for Monster.

I realize the awards themselves are mostly overblown. In the scheme of sobering world affairs, actors congratulating actors seems almost bombastic. Yet I'm swept away by the industry's enthusiasm, even when Roberto Benigni clownishly accepts a Best Actor award and I can only understand two words of his speech.

On a frigid February night, in my parent's living room, on a worn sectional sofa in a Western New York farm town 2,500 miles from Hollywood, Calif., the Oscars were a glitzy portal, bloated with beautiful people applauding high stakes creativity.

I even baked special blueberry muffins before watching the ceremony; the same blueberry muffins I baked before watching Ally McBeal.

Naturally, I had crushes on the screenwriters.

I had a good hunch Quentin would win for Pulp Fiction in 1994, as I had read a profanely eloquent interview with him in Talk magazine several months before the awards. In the year of Titanic, when Matt & Ben won for Goodwill Hunting, I considered writing them a congratulatory note on my Christmas stationary set. And last year, when Diablo Cody nabbed an Oscar for Juno, I considered a career in stripping to support my novel-writing.

To Joe's delight, I did not apply for a job at Mons Venus for fear that the opposite shifts would kill our evening Rummy games.

Anyway, I'm a sucker for the Oscars ...

And if I were Mickey Rourke, I'd get me a haircut, a new Chihuahua and start baking blueberry muffins for Jon Favreau.

--

PS. Killer Marisa Tomei illustration by Rob Kelly for Time Out New York.

7 comments:

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

ha - I wrote about the Oscars today too only I'm just the opposite - I never watch them. I don't know why really, especially considering I love celebrity gossip and pretty dresses. Maybe it's the four hour time commitment, maybe it's the long speeches, I don't know. But I will say that Marisa Tomei's dress was amazing!!

C.Flower said...

Marisa Tomei is hot stuff! We can only hope to age so well.

C.Flower said...

From editor Joe via e-mail:

"Very nice, Baby. Thanks for the link. Marisa Tomei is far too hot for her age.

If you're interested, you have a typo near the word "Understood" about halfway through. Sorry. I'm at work and my editing impulses are primed.

Love you. See you at midnight."

As you can see, he's got a serious case of the Mondays. But he's allowed. One Monday he got home from the office at 1:30 in the morn.

Anonymous said...

I'm the opposite - I never watch the Oscars. In fact, until I started reading the reviews this morning, I hadn't realized that the Oscars happened last night.

Pathetic, I know.

I kind of wish I did watch them, though, just to see the dresses =)

rob! said...

Cflower-

Thanks for the nice words about my work. And thanks for asking if it was ok to use the piece, I appreciate it.

Getting to stare at Marisa Tomei for a couple days while putting the piece together was fun.

ModernMommy said...

I'm the same way. I have always loved the Oscars. Every year I catch myself tearing up just looking at the hopeful nominees faces. Even though I realize the whole thing is kind of silly. Why am I crying over some overpaid actress that has probably won just because she was the "popular" one to vote for that year? I don't pretend to understand it but it just gets me all weepy. Maybe because I secretly want to be living their lives?
I have to say though this years Oscars did not disappoint. It was beautiful, Hugh Jackman was great, and I was pulling for everyone who won.

Sara said...

I enjoyed this post and it took me on a little trip down memory lane. I LOVED the moment with Roberto. So I clicked the link and watched it again....which made me then watch numerous other Oscar videos. (I even had a little cry - thanks Halley Berry). Anyway, watching these videos made me late for work. If my boss asks me why, I'm telling them it was your fault.